Sunday, January 22, 2012

What Sweet Music They Make release day!


With the glut of vampires, angels, wolf shifters, demons and ghosts doing the rounds in paranormal and urban fantasy offerings at present, as an author I’ve often asked myself, “What can I do to make sure my writing is different and fresh?” Love triangles, sparkly vampires and soul mates... Why do I even consider looking into supernatural beings?

My overwhelming answer is “Because I want to.” Most of the stories I enjoy reading feature these creatures, and when I write, I put out the kinds of stories I would like to read, with my own spin on the usual themes.

And at the end of the day, it’s all about that: personal preference. Certain authors have unique styles/voices that appeal to readers. This doesn’t necessarily mean that one author is better than another. You’ll always have those who prefer JR Ward to Anne Rice, or Stephanie Meyer to Charlaine Harris.

What Sweet Music They Make was written as an indulgence. I enjoy the vampire mythos very much, but like to explore the lives of characters who might not necessarily be the power mongers or Alphas in supernatural terms. In many cases they are ordinary folks, sometimes with special talents, who are at the mercy of those who are in leadership positions. I ask myself this: How do they come into their own? What are the problems they face and how do they overcome them?

Central to What Sweet Music They Make is also my love of music. Both protagonists are musicians who have very different approaches to their skills. Severin was a young adult at the height of early 1980s pop. Think David Bowie, Peter Murphy and Siouxsie Sioux, and you won’t be far off when you consider Severin, my vampire. He takes to the stage armed only with his 12-string acoustic guitar and a powerful, mesmerising voice. Mortal Tersia is his counterpoint, a gifted violinist who plays fiddle in an Irish band. I’ve always marvelled at how even a small Irish group can create magic in a gathering.

Another element of the tale is the fact that the two main characters are pawns in the political schemes of older, powerful vampires. Both face difficult decisions, as well as sacrifices they have to make. Also, of interest to my readers, is the story’s setting, which is in Cape Town, South Africa. It might sound like an exotic destination to many, but in truth there’s a first-world city to explore.

Without further ado, I invite you to give What Sweet Music They Make a try. It’s available in a variety of non-DRM electronic formats directly from Lyrical Press. It offers readers a little bit of romance, a healthy dose of mystery and magic. Go check it out here, and read an excerpt while you're at it.

And if you're not following me on Twitter @nerinedorman yet, shame on you.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nerine! Sounds like a great story and quite a different take on vampires. I love the idea of vampires as ordinary people living their lives but ending up stuck in the middle of politics. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete